Cesc Fabregas has admitted it was sad leaving the Premier League for a second time as he looks forward to helping his old mentor, Thierry Henry turn around the fortunes of Monaco.
The Spanish star moved to the Mediterranean principality last week from Chelsea, bringing to an end 13 years in England over two spells. He made his debut for his new club in Sunday’s 1-1 draw at Marseille.
“It was tricky for me to leave after 13 years in England. I started my career there, won a lot of trophies, played for two top clubs, and made more than 500 appearances. I sometimes even feel more English than Spanish,” said Fabregas as he spoke to journalists in Monaco on Wednesday.
The 31-year-old who has also played for Barcelona moved to the Stade Louis II on a three-and-a-half-year deal for a reported fee of 10 million euros ($11.5 million), having fallen out of favour at Stamford Bridge under new Chelsea coach Maurizio Sarri.
“Three months ago I wasn’t thinking about leaving Chelsea, but the circumstances helped,” he said.
“I was getting less game time. At first it was a surprise for me, but I came to the decision with my family. It is the best thing for my future. I feel like a young player again and can’t wait to get playing.”
Fabregas has teamed up again with Henry, the France great with whom he played at Arsenal at the start of his career and who became coach of Monaco in October.